We are surrounded by complex and “invisible” computing systems that influence our everyday lives. Digital data and information are produced, processed and practiced in diverse contexts and scenarios. Within the VRxAR Labs research group, we explore and investigate interface design approaches to enable data visualization and interaction in smart environments with a focus on Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR).
VR environments enable the user to immerse into a completely computer generated (virtual) world, thus visually isolating the user from the real world environment.
AR extends and enhances real world environments by adding supplemental virtual information: interactively, in three dimensions, and in real-time. Virtual objects in an AR environment align accordingly with real ones and thus seem to coexist in the same space.
Mixed Reality combines aspects of both Virtual and Augmented Reality, where physical and digital objects coexist and interact in real-time.
- short press release about the project seed funding we got from IEC [link]
- nice interview of Nico Reski in Smålandsposten [link] [photo]
- our comparative VR interface user study is underway [info]
- Nico Reski attended the VR Sci Fest at KTH, Stockholm (May 2017) and presented the ODxVR project [link] [news]
- the LNU page is live (May 2017) [link]
- “New smartphone app aims to increase public engagement in local issues” (June 2016) [news]
- “Virtual Reality will make Open Data more visible and valuable” (May 2016) [news]
- collaboration with the LNU Department of Languages and Department of Computer Science, within DISA, on Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality x Nordic Tweet Stream(ODXVRxNTS)
- Real-Time 3D Gesture Analysis for Natural Interaction with Smart Devices [link]
- Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) [link]
- Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) [link]
- Alissandrakis, A., and Reski, N. (submitted, 2017). Using a mobile Augmented Reality framework to facilitate public engagement.
- Reski, N., and Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change your Perspective: Exploration of a 3D Network created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions (ACHI 2016), April 24-28, 2016, Venice, Italy. pages 403-410